Thursday, February 02, 2006

for all of those who ask why - 22 october 2002

it may not be good poetry but it's honest...

on my knees i waited for you
on sunday mornings i waited for you
friday nights i traded my plans for you
eighteen years and i postponed my life for you.

twenty-three years of opportunities are gone
twenty-three years and disillusionment has come
twenty-three years of providence is gone
twenty-three years and now antipathy has come.

do i follow teachings from yesterday
do i allow myself to stray
do i hold on to what i was taught to believe
or do i stand up and brush off my knees?

all my life kneeling
all my life praying
all my life seeking
all my life wasted?

on my knees i feel so small
on my knees i cannot see at all
on my knees i can no longer pray
on my knees i cannot stay.

1 Comments:

Blogger jmg said...

scoupe, i totally understand what you're feeling here. i'd love to talk to you about it, since in some ways we've gone through the same disillusionment. although i never had the courage to postpone my life like you did.

for now i'll just say: it doesn't have to be what it always was. the god we grew up with was disfigured, a distortion. and there is a real one who is Love.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home