Sunday, December 25, 2005

excerpts from The Tragicall History of D. Faustus, by christopher marlowe; scene 14

FaustusAh Faustus,
Now hast thou but one bare hour to live,
And then thou must be damned perpetually.

The stars move still, time runs, the clock will strike.
The devil will come, and Faustus must be damned.
O, I'll leap up to my God: who pulls me down?
See, see where Christ's blood streames in the firmament;
One drop would save my soule, half a drop, ah, my Christ!
Ah, rend not my heart for naming of my Christ,
Yet will I call on him.

Let Faustus live in hell a thousand years,
A hundred thousand, and at last be saved.
O, no end is limited to damned souls.

All beasts are happy, for when they die,
Their souls are soon dissolved in elements,
But mine must live still to be plagued in hell.

Curst be the parents that engendered me.
No, Faustus, curse thyself, curse Lucifer,
That hath deprived thee of the joys of heaven.

My God, my God, look not so fierce on me;
let me breathe a while;
Ugly hell gape not, come not Lucifer;
I'll burn my books! Ah, Mephistophilis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home